See the Data Cookbook in Action
Regularly scheduled, these demonstrations provide an overview of the Data Cookbook and introduce you to many of its features. Bring your friends!see public demos
Schedule a Demo
Want to take a closer look at the Data Cookbook? Schedule a 60 minute demonstration here. Let us know if there are specific features you want to focus on.schedule a demo
Want to see the Data Cookbook in action right now? Check out these snippets from a previously recorded demonstration that focus on key features!pre-recorded demos
Learn More about the Data Cookbook
Got a few minutes? Check out this short intro video to the concepts of the Data Cookbook. A great way to enjoy a cup of coffee!
Integrate with Reporting Tools
You have metrics, but are they understood? Integrate the Data Cookbook with your reporting tools.
By the Numbers
Basic stats about the Data Cookbook, including a map of where the Data Cookbook clients are.
Attend a Data Governance Webinar
Register for a Webinar
Tues., June 12 - How GDPR Affects Higher Ed Institutions and What You Can Do About It 2-3pm Eastern
Wed., June 13 - Getting Started with Data Governance 3-4pm Eastern
Tue., June 19 - The Data Cookbook and a Pragmatic Approach for Implementing Data Governance 2-3pm Eastern
Thurs., July 12 - The Data Cookbook and a Pragmatic Approach for Implementing Data Governance 1-2pm EasternRegister for a Webinar
Data Cookbook is the place to start to get a clear path from question to answer
With the Data Cookbook higher education institutions can get the trusted information they need to make efficient and effective decisions.
Institutions contain an abundance of valuable data. Unfortunately, it is not always easy to access or understand the data. As a result, staff can too often spend an enormous amount of time defining what data means, figuring out how to access it, and then repeating the process because there is no easy way to record what they’ve already decided or learned. The Data Cookbook helps you solve these problems.
The Data Cookbook, a collaborative data dictionary and data management solution, is an established, well supported tool for data management, used at hundreds of higher education institutions. The Data Cookbook provides an institution with good data management, thus saving time, energy, money and frustration.
- Unlimited Users
- Community for Knowledge Sharing
- Cookbook API's and ODBC access
Track quality rules and validate data. Workflow for approval of rules and resolution of quality issues.
Import and visualize technical metadata and data models. Connect to your definitions.
Document ETL processes and data mappings. View lineage of data. Use projects to manage sets of specifications.
IDataHub Integration Suite
Validate data quality rules against your database. Synchronize technical metadata for extended data systems.
Data Dictionary and Specifications
The Data Cookbook provides a knowledge base about your data, which provides many benefits, including eliminating the frustration of having multiple definitions for a common term. You can now easily find and maintain organizational knowledge on data across all systems at your institution. Efficiency is gained by standardizing reporting procedures, using templates and workflows provided by the Data Cookbook. Faster and more effective creation of reports is achieved with an intuitive, repeatable process. The Data Cookbook is compatible with leading reporting solutions used in higher education. Time, energy, and money are saved with the good data management practices the Data Cookbook helps you create.
- Data Dictionary - Functional and Technical
- Report Specifications and Collections
- Business Glossary
- Data Request Process
- Advanced Specification Templates
- Reporting Calendars, Milestones and Events
Data Governance Workflows
Requests for information and reports is occurring all the time at higher education institutions. The Data Cookbook manages these requests and makes sure that the proper individuals get notified with its workflow capabilities.
- Data Governance Workflows and Approvals
- Report Request / Change Workflow
- Information Request Workflow
- Change Impact Analysis
- Customizable Workflow
- Automatic reporting and workflow for data quality
Document data quality rules (functional and technical details) including valid value lists as well as managing data quality issue resolution. Data Quality Rules can be connected to Definitions. New workflows are available for the approval of data quality rules as well as the resolution of data quality issues.
With the integration capabilities of the Data Cookbook (by its use of the IDataHub), many automations can be added:
- Reference data (valid value lists) can be kept in synch with your data systems
- Data quality rules can be executed and validated on your data systems
- Issues identified can be automatically reported back through the data quality issue resolution workflow
- Ensure that your validation rules and quality checks are documented and connected with your business glossary.
- These rules are reviewed and approved by stewards. Provide a workflow for reporting and resolving data quality issues that involve your data governance structures.
- Integrate with your data systems using the IDataHub to exercise the quality rules and push any exceptions in to the workflow for resolving quality issues.
Detailed technical documentation is provided in the Data Cookbook, including a visual representation of the data model, for all data systems within your organization. Track owners, access, security rules and other hard to find information on all data systems. Connect your current technical definitions to points in the data model and other attributes of the data system. Provides a workflow for resolution of impact of any changes of the data model.
With the Data Cookbook's integration capability, the technical metadata can be kept in synch with your actual databases, automating the analysis of the impact of change and alerting you from unplanned changes in the underlying data systems.
- Increase the value of your business glossary by relating it directly to the data model of your source systems.
- Visualize your data systems by importing its structure into the Data Cookbook. Provide a workflow for resolving any changes to the data model and the ripple effects into your business glossary and reporting deliverables.
- Integrate directly with your data systems using the IDataHub to keep the content refreshed and push any changes in to the workflow for updating the data systems.
In the Data Cookbook you can document many different types of specifications based on pre-delivered templates. Examples include ETL, data mappings, Dashboards, Pivot Tables, and templates specific to reporting tools. View lineage of your data based on the mappings you have documented.
In addition, extend your specifications with your own attributes including events and dates to support a reporting calendar. Specification mixes are a good way to group and work with specifications that are related.
- Provide a default set of requirements to capture for each different kind of reporting done on campus.
- Increase effectiveness of reporting by providing a way to capture different sets of requirements for different kinds of reporting.
IDataHub Integration Suite
The IDataHub is a separately licensed product that is used by the Data Cookbook to provide integrations between your Data Cookbook account and your data systems within your organizations.
Installed on premise, the IDataHub is an integration platform. This suite includes components to read your Data Quality Rules from the Data Cookbook and test them against your data systems. The results can be sent back to the Data Cookbook to be handled by the workflow for resolution of data quality issues. This suite also includes components to synchronize technical metadata about your data systems (including the schema or model) with the Extended Data Systems in the Data Cookbook. Changes or issues in the synchronization are handled in the Data Cookbook with an impact resolution workflow.