See the Data Cookbook in Action
Regularly scheduled, these demonstrations provide an overview of the Data Cookbook and introduce you to many of its features. Bring your friends!next public demo
Schedule a Demo
Want to take a closer look at the Data Cookbook? Here is where you can schedule a demonstration. Let us know if there are specific features you want to focus on.schedule a demo
Want to see the Data Cookbook in action right now? Check out these snippets from a previously recorded demonstration that focus on key features!pre-recorded demos
Learn More about the Data Cookbook
Got a few minutes? Check out this short intro video to the concepts of the Data Cookbook. A great way to enjoy a cup of coffee!
Integrate with Reporting Tools
You have metrics, but are they understood? Integrate the Data Cookbook with your reporting tools.
By the Numbers
Basic stats about the Data Cookbook, including a map of where the Data Cookbook clients are.
Attend a Data Governance Webinar
Register for a Webinar
Wed., July 8 - Managing Changes to Reference Data Lists 2-2:30pm Eastern
Tues., July 14 - Responsibility of a Data Governance Leadership and Oversight Committee 2-2:30pm Eastern
Thurs., July 16 - Pragmatic Tips for Data Governance Oversight 2-2:30pm Eastern
Wed., July 22 - Best Practices for Leveraging Data Governance During Major ERP Implementations 2-2:30pm Eastern
Wed., July 29 - The Data Cookbook and a Pragmatic Approach for Implementing Data Governance 2-3:30pm EasternRegister for a Webinar
The Data Cookbook is your place to start on a clear path from question to answer
With the Data Cookbook, companies, organizations or institutions can organize and access the trusted and governed data they need to make better decisions and take more effective actions.
Organizations collect and store abundant, valuable data. Unfortunately, it is not always easy to access, understand, or utilize this data. As a result, staff can too often spend an enormous amount of time learning where data is stored, defining what it means in a given context, figuring out how to access and share it, and then repeating the process--because there is no easy way to record what they’ve already decided or learned. The Data Cookbook helps you solve these problems.
The Data Cookbook is an established, well-supported tool for data management, used at hundreds of organizations. A collaborative repository of knowledge about institutional data, it helps organizations improve their data management practices, thereby saving time, energy, and money, by reducing duplication of effort, clearing up confusion, and limiting or eliminating other data challenges.
- Workflows for Collaboration and Communication
- Unlimited Users in an Accessible Knowledge Base
- Crosswalks between Functional and Technical Information-
Data Governance Resources can be found at www.datacookbook.com/dg
Data Governance Workflows
Just-in-time data governance workflows to approve data objects and resolve data issues.
Track quality rules and validate data. Workflow for approval of rules and resolution of quality issues.
Import and visualize technical metadata and data models. Connect to your definitions.
Document ETL processes and data mappings. View lineage of data. Use projects to manage sets of specifications.
IDataHub Integration Suite
Validate data quality rules against your database. Synchronize technical metadata for extended data systems.
Business Glossary and Data Catalog
The Data Cookbook provides a knowledge base about your data, which provides many benefits, including eliminating the frustration of having multiple definitions for a common term. You can now easily find and maintain organizational knowledge on data across all systems at your organization. Efficiency is gained by standardizing reporting procedures, using templates and workflows provided by the Data Cookbook. Faster and more effective creation of reports is achieved with an intuitive, repeatable process. The Data Cookbook is compatible with leading reporting solutions. Time, energy, and money are saved with the good data management practices the Data Cookbook helps you create.
- Business Glossary - Functional Definitions
- Data Dictionary - Technical Definitions
- Data Catalog - Report and Data Extract Specifications
- Data Request and Deliverable Approval Process
- Customizable Specification Templates
- Reporting Calendars, Milestones and Events
Data Governance Workflows
Requests for information and reports occur all the time at organizations. The Data Cookbook manages these requests and makes sure that the proper individuals get notified when it is time for them to act.
- Definition Approval Workflow
- Report Specification Request/Change Workflow
- Information Request Workflow
- Change Management / Impact Analysis
- Customizable Workflows for Data Quality Rules and Issues
Document and approve data quality rules (functional and technical details), including lists of valid values for a field or definition, and report and resolve data quality issues. Data quality rules can exist independently or as attributes of your data definitions.
With the integration capabilities of the Data Cookbook (by its use of the IDataHub), many automations can be added:
- Reference data (valid value lists) can be kept in synch with your data systems
- Data quality rules can be executed and validated on your data systems
- Issues identified can be automatically reported back through the data quality issue resolution workflow
- Ensure that your validation rules and quality checks are documented and connected with your business glossary.
- These rules are reviewed and approved by stewards. Provide a workflow for reporting and resolving data quality issues that involve your data governance structures.
- Integrate with your data systems using the IDataHub to exercise the quality rules and push any exceptions into the workflow for resolving quality issues.
Detailed technical documentation can be stored in the Data Cookbook, including bite-sized ERDs generated from primary & foreign key information, for all data systems within your organization. Track owners, access, security rules, and other hard-to-find information on all data systems. Connect your technical data and reporting definitions to data model objects. Notify key players when data models are altered.
- Increase the value of your business glossary by relating it directly to the data model of your source systems.
- Visualize your data systems by importing their structures into the Data Cookbook. Impact analysis allows you to find and resolve the ripple effects on your business glossary and reporting deliverables caused by changes to underlying data systems.
- Integrate directly with your data systems using the IDataHub to automate the initial import and keep technical information current.
In the Data Cookbook you can document many different types of data deliverables as specifications. Using customizable specification templates, it's easier than ever to distinguish between ETL, data mappings, dashboards, pivot tables, and other templates specific to reporting tools. Capture only the information you need, and if desired view visual relationships between data elements based on the mappings you have documented.
In addition, extend your specifications with your own attributes including events and dates to support a reporting calendar. Another feature - collections - provides a way to group and work with specifications that are related (such as surveys or fact books)
- Provide a default set of requirements to capture for each different kind of reporting done on campus.
- Increase effectiveness of reporting by providing a way to capture different sets of requirements for different kinds of reporting.
IDataHub Integration Suite
The IDataHub is a separately licensed product that is used by the Data Cookbook to provide integrations between your Data Cookbook account and your organization's data systems.
The IDataHub integration suite includes components to read your Data Quality Rules from the Data Cookbook and test them against your data systems. Failing results can be sent back to the Data Cookbook to be handled by the workflow for resolution of data quality issues. This suite also includes comnnectors to import technical metadata about your data systems for use in the Data Cookbook, and tools to synchronize reference data (lists of valid values). Changes to these lists can be managed in the Data Cookbook with an impact resolution workflow.